VP, Cloud Engineering and Operations - 13185
Woodland Hills, United States
Reporting to the Chief Technology Officer, the Vice President of Cloud Engineering and Operations is a strategic leader responsible for building and running BlackLine’s commercial B2B SaaS Cloud, and providing second line support for 3500+ enterprise customers.
The position requires an experienced technology professional with the right mix of relevant experience and skills, an ability to flex between the strategic and the tactical, outstanding verbal and written communication skills, and a high level of energy and flexibility to get things done and thrive in a fast-paced, team-oriented product development environment.
S/he will be an accomplished executive cloud leader who embodies BlackLine’s leadership principles of leading by example, communicating openly, enabling and inspiring others, exceling with partners, acting decisively, and collaborating effectively.
Roles and Responsibility (list in order of importance)
- Own and operate BlackLine’s global cloud infrastructure and 24x7 operations, supporting mission critical commercial applications for over 3,500 of the worlds’ largest enterprises.
- Drive BlackLine’s hybrid cloud strategy, building new infrastructure and platform services across GCP, Azure, AWS, and private datacenters, driving private-to-public cloud migration and providing robust high-availability and disaster-resilient capabilities.
- Modernize CI/CD tooling and processes to speed delivery, reduce downtime, and reduce employee after-hour releases and patching.
- Provide 24x7 service support, metric reporting, incident management, and problem management for all cloud services.
- Serve as an executive interface for key customer escalations and requests and collaborate and stay aligned with various executive stakeholders throughout BlackLine.
- Lead a growing team of over 100 engineers, architects, administrators, planners, and specialists, providing clarity in organizational responsibilities and structure and attracting world-class leadership and talent in the Cloud organization.
- Partner with Product and Engineering to deliver new infrastructure, PaaS services, environments, and product offerings that drive more than $400 Million in annual revenue.
- Collaborate with Architecture and Engineering teams on scaling strategy and deliver cloud services to stay ahead of BlackLine’s explosive growth needs, providing clear visibility and milestones.
- Plan, manage, and optimize a substantial budget for infrastructure, cloud spend, headcount, services, and contractors.
- Own relationships with cloud providers and other key software and service vendors for support and connections to their product teams.
Years of Experience in Related Field:
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Computer Science; a Master's degree preferred.
Technical/Specialized Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- 3+ years in an executive role, leading large-scale private and public cloud services with B2B commercial SaaS services, with a direct reporting relationship to senior executive leadership in a $1B+ SaaS or Cloud company.
- Experience leading organizations of 100+, with geographical distribution, and annual budget authority of $20M or more.
- A minimum of 2 years direct experience building or operating cloud native applications using Kubernetes and Docker
- Experience with a significant subset of the following technologies: Windows, Linux, Microsoft .NET, Microsoft IIS, Microsoft SQL, Go, Jenkins, Chef, PowerShell, WMI, Java, Apache, Tomcat, SSL.
- Capable of technical deep dives into code, networking, operating systems and storage, yet effective in strategy discussions in executive leadership forums
- Ability to communicate well with both business owners and technical staff, at the appropriate level for both.
- Solid general management capability with skills in strategy, operational excellence, collaboration and innovation.
- Strong leadership qualities and organizational skills as well as the ability to adapt quickly to changing priorities, assignments, and roles.
- Independent judgment and mature decision-making skills to deal with programs that often have enterprise-wide scope and may have significant financial and compliance impacts.
- Exceptional knowledge of Agile/Scrum/Lean principles and practices.
- Excellent verbal, written, and presentation skills, with a demonstrated ability to effectively communicate technical and business issues to support the strategic goals.