Principal Product Manager, Platform — 12193
Woodland Hills , USA
- Research: The Platform Product Manager is responsible for constantly gathering information from customers, prospects, peers, stakeholder and other BlackLine teams. They will keep abreast of industry trends, competitive intelligence, market research, and information technology strategies. Research is conducted constantly, through a variety of channels, with an eye on both the specific product(s) that the PM is responsible for and broad, new ideas/concepts.
- Roadmap: The Platform Product Manager solicit and track requests from various stakeholders including the BlackLine community, Support, Sales, partners and internal engineering teams. They create, publish, and maintain both internal and external roadmaps. PMs are responsible for balancing new platform components and features, enhancements, design changes, and defect resolution while ensuring that their engineering team aligns to BlackLine’s business objectives. PMs will monitor existing and incorporate new data-driven operational and adoption metrics as part of the roadmap planning process.
- Feature Design: The entire process by which platform features move from idea to reality is owned by the Platform Product Manager. PMs create product and development documentation, work with Architecture, Application, and UX/UI teams to refine conceptual models, and consult with Tech Ops, Security, Legal and other internal stakeholders.
- Product Development: The Platform Product Manager is a part of the platform engineering team and tasked with delivering on both the platform roadmap and supporting the product roadmap, collaborating with Architecture, Platform, and Application teams across Product and Engineering to determine, plan, deliver and support platform components that will provide the foundation for BlackLine Products. PMs will create stories, participate fully in grooming and sprint planning, and help ensure that the team’s productivity, code quality, documentation, and output are acceptable. The Platform Product Manager will also assist in managing the team by driving adoption, providing feedback, clearing blockers, and ensuring that all work proceeds apace.
- Subject Matter Expertise: By virtue of their close work with our clients and stakeholders, as well as their participation in the design process, the Platform Product Managers is expected to build a deep understanding of the product and market, as well as the fundamentals of accounting, design, and our technology. They will use that expertise in support of other teams, events, and clients.
- Leadership: The Platform Product Manager is expected to be an informed decision maker who drives projects to a successful completion, always has a vision, and provides leadership for their teams.
- The Principal Product Manager is a leader of people & teams, actively trains & coaches other PMs, increases the efficacy of operations across departments, and leads interdependent projects across teams.
- Expert level in the role dimensions of teamwork, customer knowledge, technical knowledge, decision-making, strategic thinking, and leadership.
- Master level in the role dimensions of communication, details & quality, independence, and product scope.
- Receives only general guidance on the path forward for a given product
- Is expected to set the product vision and pursue it with discretion
- Autonomous in nature; receives limited supervision and is expected to produce a high volume of work and meet all deadlines without frequent oversight
- Has broad responsibility for [Product/Feature Set] and serves as the Product Owner for one or more teams.
- Take ownership of Platform projects such as product integrations, core components and connectivity frameworks
- Provide product leadership to cross functional technical teams and implement process frameworks to drive project success
- Foster a collaborative environment with other members of the organization to ensure the correct paths and details are established for projects
- Communicate directly with clients and partners to determine project requirements and deliverables
- Act as a mentor for incoming members of the Product Management team
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong leadership skills with a willingness to make decisions
- Comfort working in both a team environment and in a self-directed role
- Excellent analytical and quantitative skills
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to work under pressure, meet deadlines and prioritize multiple projects simultaneously
- BA/BS in a technical/business field or a background in accounting/technology.
- 8+ years’ experience operating, managing, and delivering results in a consumer-facing product management role.
- Experience overseeing roadmap strategy and definition, feature delivery and trade-offs of a product, end to end product delivery.
- Experience contributing to engineering discussions around technology decisions and strategy related to a product.
- Experience in delivering high quality customer-facing experiences related to enterprise software.
- Knowledge of modern software application architectures, public cloud technologies, and engineering patterns and practices.
- Familiarity with market and organizational elements of both SaaS and Enterprise-scale Software
- Understanding of accounting and finance concepts and terminology
- Experience with Agile/Scrum