Senior Database Administrator - 13472
Remote, United States
A Senior Database Administrator at BlackLine plays a vital role in managing data platform while continually driving forward improvements, optimizations, and automation.
As a member of the Cloud Data Services team, you will be involved in the planning, deployment, and maintenance of the data platform, including troubleshooting issues, performance tuning, security, and access controls. You will collaborate with other teams on crucial projects to drive growth, to improve controls and processes, to reduce overhead and complexity. This includes automation, performance optimizations, delivery, stability, and security of the services, systems, and databases we use.
In this role, we are looking for people who are team players, passionate about their areas of expertise, and constantly striving to learn and improve, not just in the sense of their own skills, but also in growing and sharing with peers day-by-day. If you are someone who strives for excellence in all that they do, a go-getter, and a creative problem solver, then we want to talk to you.
A successful candidate must possess solid troubleshooting skills, critical thinking skills, presentation skills, and have experience supporting large scale database operations. SaaS and Public Cloud experience is very desirable.
Roles and Responsibility (list in order of importance)
- Ensure 99.99%+ availability of the services and infrastructure across private and public clouds to provide expected uptime to Blackline Customers
- Work is project-oriented, and employee must define actual tasks. Understand company goals and practices and apply them in performance of job responsibilities. Receive only general instructions on new work. Perform necessary tasks to deliver against committed project timelines
- Manage Relational Databases at multiple product lifecycle stages and environments, including research, development, mission-critical production systems, etc.
- Manage NoSQL Databases at multiple product lifecycle stages and environments, including research, development, mission-critical production systems, etc.
- Configure and maintain database systems and related processes, including monitoring, system health, and performance to ensure high performance, availability, and security
- Independently, or in collaboration with peers, analyze, and resolve issues in real-time, providing end-to-end problem-solving and improvements. Conduct root cause analyses.
- Provide off-hours support, including a 24/7 on-call rotation; Respond to and troubleshoot incidents.
- Adhere to the change management and other established processes and procedures
- Assist and support Engineering staff with performance tuning and optimizations, supporting the delivery of high-quality value and features to Blackline’s customers
- Refine, automate, and advocate for automation, standardized processes, issue tracking, change management, and process improvement
- Implement, optimize, and regularly test backup and recovery plans for databases, including Disaster Recovery
- Perform critical scheduled maintenance, deployment, and release support activities
- Participate in various POC’s
- Create and Maintain documentation as well as operational knowledge base. Share knowledge with peers and other functional teams
- Proactively identify issues, bottlenecks, gaps, or other areas of concern or opportunity and work to either directly affect change, or advocate for that change by working with peers and leadership in building consensus and taking action
Years of Experience in Related Field: 6+ years
Bachelor’s Degree in an IT, Computer Science preferred, or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
Technical/Specialized Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- 6 or more years Relational Database Administration (MS SQL Server, PostgreSQL, etc.) experience required
- 4 or more years implementing operational automation via scripting (i.e., PowerShell, BASH, SQL, etc.) is required
- 5 or more years successfully working in Hybrid (Physical, Virtualized and Private Cloud) environments are required
- 3 or more years working in high-transaction data environments is required
- Advanced working knowledge of SQL is required
- Strong experience working with and maintaining data backup and recovery strategies
- Strong experience working with and maintaining high-availability and disaster recovery strategies
- Experience with performance tuning and optimization, using native monitoring and troubleshooting tools and techniques, including complex queries as well as procedure and indexing strategies
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required, including ability to effectively communicate with audiences of various levels and backgrounds
- Adaptable team-player with a focus on results and value delivery
- Able to organize and plan work independently
- Ability to multi-task and manage priorities in a fast-paced environment is required
- Strong work ethic, attention to detail and organizational skills are required
- 2 or more years of deploying and managing NoSQL DBMS (MongoDB, CouchDB, OrientDB, Redis, Apache Cassandra, RethinkDB, etc. ) is a plus
- ETL experience is a plus
- Work is primarily sedentary in nature; no special demands are required.