Senior Manager, Customer Success - 13240
Remote, United States
The Senior Manager of Customer Success delivers front-line management over the assigned Customer Success Team which includes on average 7 CSMs and up to 1200 BlackLine Customers. The Senior Manager Customer Success provides vision and direction to each CSM as they ensure their assigned customers receive the value of their BlackLine subscription. The Senior Manager partners with Strategic Account Management and Strategic Account Management leadership, RVP’s of the Account Management Teams as well as the Geo VP’s of the Enterprise and Mid-Market sales teams. to design customer strategies to help accelerate the customer BlackLine journey. The Senior Manager Customer Success manages their team activities, resources, and relationships necessary to optimize customers’ adoption of subscribed licenses and products, prevent attrition and churn, and continually enhance customer health and satisfaction. This role includes the hiring, supervision, management and training of Customer Success Managers in becoming experts in the Company’s platform and products and in using their domain expertise to provide best practice deliverables. The Senior Manager Customer Success will employ effective and repeatable world-class processes and prescriptive touchpoints, including campaigns, coaching, demonstrations, success plans and reviews to nurture extraordinary customer engagement throughout their BlackLine journey. The Senior Manager passionately champions leading practices and offers optimal solutions across BlackLine’s platform that are directly tied to customer expansion, reference, and reduction in churn and attrition. The Senior Manager also leverages their BlackLine expertise, their accounting, internal controls, and process improvement expertise, as well as their professional judgment to provide leading practices, insights, and deliverables. These deliverables may include one to many thought leadership, Executive touch points and strategy sessions, and recommendations to accelerate customers’ accounting innovation journey. Most importantly, the Senior Manager must be confident in the unknown and know when to seek guidance as many customers require assistance in understanding their own processes before considering optimization with BlackLine. They should be able to help their team also navigate the unknown to provide optimal solutions. All facets of the Senior Manager role are designed to drive customers to BlackLine nirvana.
Roles and Responsibility (list in order of importance)
- Define, manage and direct delivery on a Customer Success program strategy specifically associated with a BlackLine onboarded customer segment(s), i.e. Onboarding, Optimization, Active Digital Transformation for any account type.
- Develop, monitor and maintain a closed loop feedback process which includes actionable recommendations that promote the Voice of the Accountant
- Identify and drive messaging that makes compelling arguments for the adoption of BlackLine.
- Manage and train all Customer Success Managers.
- Hire any open Customer Success Manager positions.
- Lead and deliver special projects as assigned by the Chief Transformation Officer or the Vice President Customer Success.
- Challenge the status quo approach diplomatically and design original, innovative solutions for common customer challenges and team with other Strategic Innovation Team members for complex challenges where no standard solution currently exists.
- Ensure the CSM team is answering timely their assigned customer platform, product and domain questions to support BlackLine’s NRR, NPS, Retention rate and adoption expectations.
- Manage the assigned CSM team’s performance of Success Plan activities for onboarded clients to ensure BlackLine understands their corporate goals and objectives and any challenges to deliver relevant and pertinent demonstrations, coaching and/or referrals to other Customer Teams.
- Participate and contribute to BlackLine Optimization Workshops to increase visibility of solution offerings and increase customer adoption of the BlackLine solutions.
- Articulate value and benefits associated with optimized solutions.
- Leverage prior and current experiences and expertise to develop and deliver thought leadership to customers through webinars and other multi-customer events
- Design meaningful strategies and recommendations that directly impact and accelerate BlackLine Customers’ Digital transformation
- Coordinate across teams at BlackLine to enrich the customer experience and provide solutions to customer challenges
- Using professional judgment and expertise, offer opportunities where customers can provide their processes without written documentation; Review and analyze the processes and develop solutions (even when the customer is unsure of their process) based on personal experience and experience with other customers
- Engage with customer leadership and partner with Account Owners to understand the customers’ goals, objectives, and challenges and adapt our SIT offerings to support their needs
- Deliver actionable advice and expertise to customers regarding using BlackLine’s solutions as a foundational technology supporting their accounting innovation journey
- Maintain and elevate BlackLine knowledge as well as, other relevant domain knowledge that is imperative for advising customers on their BlackLine journey.
- Identify and communicate on “at-risk” customers and work with SAM and leadership to devise best approach
- Exhibit authentic energy for BlackLine solutions and the desire to motivate and engage our customers
- Other duties as assigned
Years of Experience in Related Field:
- 5-7 years’ experience in a customer-facing leadership role
- 5-7 years’ experience with BlackLine,
- 10+ years’ domain experience in accounting, auditing and/or finance
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Economics or Business Administration
Technical/Specialized Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- An intense customer focus, intellectual curiosity and ability to convert customer signals to a clear, concise story
- A hunger for process improvement and leading transformation activities
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships and trust with clients, while identifying and assessing client opportunity and risk
- Highly skilled at problem solving and providing customer focused solutions
- Executive-level communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to effectively navigate and mediate conflict and foster honest dialogue
- Ability to quickly grasp and distinctly explain technological and business concepts
- Ability to quickly understand the vision and communicate clear actionable plans to the team and/or customer
- Excellent interpersonal skills and experience building relationships
- Strategic focus with actionable plans
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities, customer needs in high-pressure situations with poise, diplomacy and tact.
- Demonstrated confidence in dealing with the unknown. An ability to complete the puzzle without the final picture being available for reference.
- Process-oriented mindset, with an aptitude for dissecting processes and delivering optimized solutions
- Excellent listening and empathy skills: identify with the customer and want to help solve their business challenges
- Desire to be solution focused
- Prioritization and time management skills
- Strong verbal and written professional communication
- Demonstrated strong presentation skills including content building and delivery in varied settings (live, recorded, webex, etc)
- Constantly elevate knowledge of BlackLine, current accounting practices, and changes in the industry
- Demonstrated advanced knowledge of BlackLine solutions to optimize processes
- Demonstrated domain knowledge beyond BlackLine to support BlackLine customers’ journey.
- Recognized process improvement skills and ability to architect multiple solutions with limited customer support/documentation
- Adaptability to changing priorities and customer needs
- Self-motivated, proactive team player with a natural curiosity and passion for learning
- Passion for leading teams and developing talent
- CPA, CIA or related professional accounting certification
Ability to travel – 40%, sometimes internationally