Director, Legal Operations - 13169
Remote, United States
We are searching for a talented, collaborative, result oriented Senior Director of Legal Operations to join our rapidly growing Legal Department. This position will be responsible for the financial, operational, and technical functions of the legal department, including the development and execution of technology and document management strategies, prudent management of internal resources and external counsel, and the strategic development and implementation of key performance metrics. The role will build out a high-performing team in support of the operational functions of the Legal Department.
Roles and Responsibility (list in order of importance)
- Originate, build and scale a legal operations function supporting a fast moving and innovative legal team.
- Assist department leadership with day-to-day operations, including identification, development and implementation of department policies and procedures, reporting, and dashboarding.
- Partner with Legal Senior Leadership to manage organizational planning for the department, including supporting efforts related to training and performance management.
- Drive the development of business metrics, provide operational analysis through reports and dashboards, and implement changes to improve performance. Track accruals and forecasting, work with Finance to identify spending trends, potential cost savings and efficiency opportunities.
- Manage and liaise with legal department vendors, including overseeing billing issues and budgeting/accrual process. Assist with budget matters and optimizing workflows within the Legal Department.
- Create and drive relationships with other key company functions, such as Talent Acquisition, HR, IT, Finance, etc.
- Implement, manage and oversee legal technology platforms and initiatives across the Legal Department. Arrange or provide ongoing training on technology platforms. Serve as an advocate to drive user acceptance and use of technology to improve efficiency and effectiveness.
- Facilitate company-wide training on Legal topics, train the Legal team and the broader organization on legal processes and procedures (e.g. new hire onboarding training, new software or process rollout).
- Develop, implement and enhance a comprehensive departmental strategic communications plan (e.g., newsletters, announcements, and messages from department leadership).
Years of Experience in Related Field:
8+ years of experience in a legal department, law firm or relevant operational management role.
Education: A B.A. or B.S.; possibly an MBA or J.D.
Technical/Specialized Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- that challenge the status quo and believe an inclusive team is a better team; experienced in bringing people together and driving positive change.
- Experienced in leading a team with a varied and changing workload; work effectively and efficiently under pressure; extensive project management experience.
- Practical people management skills with an ability to guide and mentor the team as required.
- Tech-savviness, and a proficiency in legal enterprise software, tools, and applications.
- Passionate about innovating the legal service delivery model; possess a strong “service” mindset.
- Relentless in the pursuit of continuous improvement and committed to transforming the way the team operates.
- A “no task too big, no task too small” mentality. You love achieving big things, working as part of a team, and continuous improvement.
- Excellent communication skills; practical and enthusiastic problem-solver who is confident and calm under fire and can work independently in a dynamic, fast-changing environment.
- Strong stakeholder management and interpersonal skills; ability to build consensus, create momentum, work cross-functionally with other departments and varying levels of management advising, influencing decisions, managing change, and working to achieve strategic goals.
- Advocate of knowledge sharing and open communication amongst the team and with those with whom you interact with daily.
- Highly organized and detail oriented with the ability to maintain a large picture perspective.
- Comfortable facing new challenges and changes in direction; flexible in embracing frequent change in all forms.
- Critical and innovative thinker with excellent business sense and judgment.