Product Manager II - 12876
Woodland Hills, United States
BlackLine’s product managers work at the intersection of business, design, and technology. We are passionate leaders and subject matter experts who learn on the fly, find clever solutions to challenging problems, and make decisions that guide BlackLine’s long-term strategy. Day-in and day-out, we work with customers and analysts to shape the roadmap, designers and engineers to build products, and sales/services to take our products to market and deliver value for our clients.
Roles and Responsibility
The Product Manager II serves as the primary owner for a component of BlackLine's Financial Controls & Automation Platform.
- Research: The Product Manager is responsible for constantly gathering information from clients, prospects, peers, stakeholders, and other BlackLiners. They will keep abreast of market research, competitive intelligence, accounting/finance news, and software trends. Research is conducted constantly, though a variety of channels, with an eye on both the specific product(s) that the PM is responsible for and broad, new ideas/concepts.
- Roadmap: Product Managers create, publish, and maintain both internal and external roadmaps. This means they're responsible for balancing new-features, enhancements, design changes, and defect resolution while ensuring that their engineering team aligns to BlackLine's business objectives.
- Feature Design: The entire process by which features move from idea to reality is owned by the Product Manager. PMs create Epics or PRDs, work with UX/UI designers to refine the interaction layout and interaction model, and consult with Tech Ops, Security, Legal and other internal stakeholders.
- Product Development: Product Managers are part of the engineering team tasked with delivering on the roadmap. This means that PMs will create stories, participate fully in grooming and sprint planning, and help ensure that the team's productivity, code quality, and output are acceptable. The Product Manager will also assist in managing the team by providing feedback, clearing blockers, and ensuring that all work proceeds apace.
- Subject Matter Expertise: By virtue of their close work with our clients and stakeholders, as well as their participation in the design process, Product Managers are expected to build a deep understanding of the product and market, as well as the fundamentals of accounting, design, and our technology. They will use that expertise in support of other teams, events, or clients.
- Leadership: Product Managers are expected to be willing and informed decision makers who drive projects to a successful completion, always have an opinion, and provide visionary leadership for their teams.
PRODUCT MANAGER II
- As Product Manager II, you own the full creation of the roadmap, make strategic decisions about the direction of your product, show good decision-making to balance delivery quality and development team happiness, keep development team informed about the long-term vision, and collaborate with UX.
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Receives only general guidance on the path forward for a given product
- Is expected to set the product vision and pursue it with discretion
- Receives limited supervision and is expected to produce a high volume of work and meet all deadlines without frequent oversight
- Has broad responsibility for their product area and serves as the Product Owner for one or more teams.
- Provide product leadership to cross functional technical teams and implement process frameworks to drive project success
- Foster a collaborative environment with other members of the organization to ensure the correct paths and details are established for projects
- Communicate directly with clients and partners to determine project requirements and deliverables
- Act as a mentor for incoming members of the Product Management team
Years of Experience in Related Field: 3-4 years of product management experience with 5-6 years enterprise software involvement
Education: BA/BS in a technical/business field or a background in accounting/technology
Technical/Specialized Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong leadership skills with a willingness to make decisions
- Comfort working in both a team environment and in a self-directed role
- Excellent analytical and quantitative skills
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to work under pressure, meet deadlines and prioritize multiple projects simultaneously
- Advanced customer knowledge, technical knowledge, teamwork, decision-making, strategic thinking, and leadership
- Expert in terms of product scope, communication, independence, and details & quality
- Understanding of accounting and finance concepts and terminology
- Knowledge of modern web application architecture and engineering patterns and practices
- Experience with Agile/Scrum
- Familiarity market and organizational elements of both SaaS and Enterprise-scale Software
- Work is primarily sedentary in nature; no special demands are required.
- This role does require periodic travel to meet with clients, attend industry events, or support BlackLine-sponsored events.