Senior Database Engineer - 12800
, United Kingdom
As a Senior Database Engineer at BlackLine, you will play a vital role in the performance, delivery, stability, and security of the databases we use, while continually driving forward improvements and optimizations at the database layer. As a member of the database team, you will be involved in the planning, development, and maintenance of the database, including troubleshooting issues, collaborating with other teams to define and build new features, optimize existing features, and collaborate in order to drive growth, improve controls and processes, and reduce overhead and complexity. In this role, we are looking for people who are team players, passionate about their areas of expertise, and constantly striving to learn and improve, not just in the sense of their own skills, but also in growing with peers whom they work with day-to-day. If you are someone who strives for excellence in all that they do, including helping those in your team, and someone who wants to ultimately deliver the best value and success you can, then we want to talk to you.
Roles and Responsibility (list in order of importance)
- Participate in cross-functional teams and build relationships across the organization.
- Build high-performance, massively-scalable, always-available Cloud-based systems.
- Ensure data integrity and quality in database systems.
- Maintain standard policies for database development activities.
- Provide database solutions based on technical documents and business requirements.
- Provide technical assistance to resolve all database issues related to performance, capacity and access.
- Analyze issues holistically, from the application tier through the database, down to the storage.
- Database Engineer will ensure that all deadlines are met and that quality is of the highest level throughout the Software Development Life Cycle.
- Assist in the training an development of associate and database engineers as needed.
Years of Experience in Related Field:
- 5 + years experience SQL 2008, 2012, 2014, 2017
- 3+ years working in high-transaction environments is required
Education: BS In Computer Science or Equivalent Experience
Technical/Specialized Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Advanced working knowledge of different index types and how they are used: columnstore, full-text, filtered, indexes with include columns
- Advanced Execution Plan understanding
- Advanced experience with performance tuning and optimization, using native monitoring and troubleshooting tools and techniques, including complex queries as well as procedure and indexing strategies
- Working knowledge of SQL Dynamic Management Views (DMV’s) to aide in performance tuning
- Ability to compare the same queries written in different ways to see which is the most performant (e.g. using sql query statistics).
- Working knowledge of SQL engine table statistics and distribution of data within tables
- Experience with SQL locking, blocking and deadlocks and how to avoid them
- Lead various technology POCs
- Advance understanding of OLTP vs OLAP environments
- Advanced knowledge of relational database internals (locking, consistency, serialization, recovery paths)
- Advanced knowledge of writing performant queries including working knowledge of CTE’s, recursive CTE’s CROSS/OUTER APPLY’s.
- Advanced knowledge of dynamic SQL
- Working knowledge of User Defined Types and Functions
- Working knowledge of the SQL HierarchyID datatype
- Working knowledge of the inner workings of TempDB and methods of keeping contention as low as possible
- Working knowledge of powershell
- Knowledge of how temporary objects persist across the same connection when calling nested procedures
- Knowledge of parameter sniffing and methods of workaround it
- Working knowledge of SQL Azure multi tenanted environments and the impact that has on system contention
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Adaptable team-player with a focus on results and value delivery
- Able to organize and plan work independently
- SSIS/SSRS experience is a strong plus
- NoSQL is a plus
- Azure, GCP or AWS are a plus
- MCTS, MCITP, and/or MVP certifications are a plus