Senior Systems Engineer - 12782
Woodland Hills, United States
As a Sr. Systems Engineer, you will play a key role in the expansion of BlackLine's SaaS product and its supporting services across the globe to support our growing customer base. As a member of the Cloud Operations team, you will be involved in streamlining and automating the lifecycle of BlackLine's infrastructure, configuration, and software to ease management, provide consistency and visibility at scale, and maintain feature parity between on premise and public cloud environments. To do this, you should be able to leverage public cloud functionality, open-source products, and custom solutions as necessary.
You will be working closely with operators and developers to promote best practice architecture and provide subject matter expertise on how to best leverage automation and public cloud capabilities. As such, this person should advocate automation and provide mentorship to others throughout the company.
Roles and Responsibility (list in order of importance)
- Ensure 99.99%+ availability of the services and infrastructure that spans across multiple global datacenters in private and public clouds.
- Design, Build, and Run container platforms and supporting automation in a highly available, high traffic environment.
- Monitor and maintain health, performance, and security of all infrastructure components.
- Build systems and perform necessary tasks to deliver against committed project timelines.
- Ability to effectively lead technical projects and make design decisions where applicable.
- Maintain documentation and operational knowledge base.
- Adhere to the change management and other established processes and procedures.
- Respond to and troubleshoot incidents. Conduct root cause analyses. Provide remediation steps.
- Evaluate and analyze systems, performance, issues and metrics in order to provide recommendations for continuous improvements.
- Participate in a scheduled 24/7 on-call rotation for second tier support escalations.
- Collaborate with smart, impassioned individuals from different backgrounds to create a robust and evolving platform.
Years of Experience in Related Field: 5+ years
Bachelor’s Degree in an IT or engineering discipline or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
Technical/Specialized Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience supporting Linux and Windows operating systems in a large-scale environment.
- Track record of architecting, developing and implementing robust distributed online solutions.
- Proficient with git-based development workflows.
- Experience with software development processes and methodologies in a team setting.
- Proficient developing Infrastructure as Code at an advanced level.
- Experience with scripting or systems programming languages.
- Fundamental knowledge of container orchestration concepts and technologies.
- Advanced experience with one or more major public cloud providers running production workloads.
- Experience automating application installation and configuration using startup scripts or configuration management software.
- Hands-on problem-solving skills, technical leadership, and mentoring qualities.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- A minimum of two years of experience in a 24x7 operations organization, deploying and operating complex cloud infrastructure at scale.
- Significant experience with open source platforms and technologies.
- Familiarity with Configuration Management tools (Puppet, Chef, Salt, Ansible).
- Experience writing Infrastructure as Code with Terraform
- Experience in mixed Windows/Unix/Linux environments.
- Certified Kubernetes Administrator (CKA)
- Work is primarily sedentary in nature; no special demands are required.