Senior Technical Writer - 12765
Woodland Hills, United States
At BlackLine, we are committed to guide our customers along their digital transformation journey. We are expanding our team of content development professionals to deliver product documentation to support this commitment. Product documentation helps customers, partners, and employees better understand how to install, configure, and use our products to solve their business needs.
As a Senior Technical Writer on the product documentation team at BlackLine, you’ll have the opportunity to apply not only your amazing communication and writing skills from years of related experience, you’ll also wow us with your project management expertise, and help to socialize our content development best practices across the organization.
The ideal candidate is empathetic to the needs of the customer. You are confident in your proven experience, but you also like to explore new approaches and solutions to address the same old content problems. You are curious and work hands-on with the product to learn and understand how typical users work with it. You are excited about your individual impact to improve the customer experience, and you are motivated to deliver on your commitments.
Roles and Responsibility (list in order of importance)
The responsibilities and duties of this role include, but are not limited to the following:
- Become a product expert within assigned areas, and thoroughly understand needs of target audiences. Structure and write customer-facing documentation to ease user adoption of products, and to guide users to content that supports their business needs.
- Collaborate with product development and customer-facing teams across the organization to gather required information to build, test, and publish effective product documentation for the target audience. Interact and foster strong relationships with counterparts in engineering, quality, product, support, training, and professional services teams.
- Assimilate and organize a large volumes of technical information into structured DITA topics that users can easily find and apply for their business needs.
- Continually improve accuracy, consistency, and quality of existing customer-facing product content.
- Ensure that content consistently aligns with style guide, corporate branding, user interface texts, product training, and other information assets across the organization.
- Follow team standards and processes for developing content, and publishing and distribution strategies.
- Gather and analyze feedback from customers, partners, and internal stakeholders to support business process and content improvements.
- Coordinate localization efforts for the content you produce.
- Contribute to multiple projects simultaneously, potentially managing projects as the business requires.
- Use critical thinking and problem-solving skills to develop just the right amount of content to ensure that it is valuable to the intended audience.
- Provide technical writing assistance to other departments as the business requires.
Years of Experience in Related Field: 5+ years of hands-on experience writing technical documentation in English for technology products
Education: BS or BA in English, Communications, Business, Engineering, or related field (or equivalent work experience)
Technical/Specialized Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Exceptional writing, editing, and proofreading skills
- Note: Applicants must submit writing samples to be considered for this role
- Demonstrated ability to communicate complex concepts and instructions concisely and precisely for the intended audience
- Proficient to expert knowledge and experience in DITA structured authoring
- Experience working with structured XML authoring tools
- Experience writing API documentation
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills
- Mastery of oral and written North American Business English
- Hands-on experience gathering data, collecting from multiple cross-organization experts and data sources
Candidates must demonstrate a history of:
- Attention to detail and service orientation, while successfully maintaining strict deadlines
- Commitment to excellence, and dedication to deliver amazing user experience
- Knowledge of common accounting practices
- Experience in Enterprise software or SaaS environment, scrum experience is most relevant.
- Experience using video capturing software, like Captivate or Camtasia
- Experience in other relevant tools, like Atlassian (Jira, Confluence, Stash), Perforce, Git, Salesforce (Community, Service Cloud)