Director, Technical Accounting - 12659
Woodland Hills, United States
The Director, Technical Accounting will be responsible for driving accurate, compliant, and timely financial reporting. You will be the owner of the vision and overall success of the reporting and technical accounting functions. BlackLine is a fast-paced environment that is demanding and challenging. Leadership and exceptional communication and technical skills are essential characteristics for success in this role.
Roles and Responsibility (list in order of importance)
- Research and assist in evaluating complex accounting transactions and new or complex business operations, including documentation of technical memos to ensure appropriate accounting treatment through to the recording of the related journal entries.
- Monitor FASB and SEC developments to identify and document the potential impact of new pronouncements or other authoritative guidance to the Company's operations.
- Identify and resolve technical accounting matters, including the development and delivery of policies, procedures, training, and technology enhancements relating to the implementation of new accounting and financial reporting requirements and changes to existing requirements.
- Research and provide technical accounting guidance for complex transactions, determining appropriate accounting and financial reporting requirements and liaise with external auditors, outside technical advisors and/or other partners, as appropriate.
- Oversee the preparation of all periodic quarterly and annual public filings required under Securities and Exchange Commission rules (10-Q and 10-K) and securities registration statements, as required.
- Serve as the primary reviewer for complex, higher risk, or non-recurring controls and analyses.
- Develops processes to ensure compliance with all SOX requirements and ensures all internal controls activities are completed in full compliance with SOX Section 404.
- Complete special projects and prepare analyses for senior management requiring technical accounting research and analysis of financial information, as requested.
- Responsible for reporting units and segment reporting analyses. Responsible for annual goodwill and long-lived assets impairment analyses.
- Serve as a key point of contact to other functional areas on technical accounting matters.
- Key relationships include the Chief Accounting Officer, VP Corporate Controller, Assistant Controller, Sr. Director of Revenue, and Senior Manager of Financial Reporting, as well as the Internal Audit team.
- Prepare and present training to employees on certain complex technical accounting areas.
- Strong understanding of technical accounting related to business combinations. Support with due diligence processes and subsequent accounting and reporting.
- Point of contact with outside auditors on technical accounting matters. Work with auditors to answer all necessary questions in connection with their audits.
Years of Experience in Related Field: 15+ years of work experience, including Big 4 public accounting experience required, reaching at least Manager level, and industry experience focused in software/technology.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or equivalent
Technical/Specialized Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- In-depth knowledge of technical accounting (U.S. GAAP), SEC reporting, and technical accounting memo writing
- Advanced analytical and organizational skills
- SOX compliance experience required
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, with the ability to effectively work with executive leadership and cross-functional teams throughout the company
- Able to break down problems into meaningful parts and arrive at well-reasoned conclusions
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to remain flexible in a fast-paced, high-growth environment
- CPA required