Senior Director, Engineering - 12603
Woodland Hills, United States
Since being founded in 2001, BlackLine has become a leading provider of cloud software that automates and controls the entire financial close process. Our vision is to modernize the finance and accounting function to enable greater operational effectiveness and agility, and we are committed to delivering innovative solutions and services that empower accounting and finance leaders around the world to achieve Modern Finance.
We are a technology-based company with a sense of adventure and a vision for the future. Every door at BlackLine is open. Work, Play and Grow at BlackLine!
A line of code can take on many forms—the sublime UI, the intuitive interaction, or the automation of a manual task for our customers that would have taken hours before. However, none of that is possible without the ability to deliver that code to our customers as quickly as possible, while ensuring that what we are delivering is as robust and high-quality as possible. As Senior Director of Engineering, you will be at the very heart of BlackLine’s engineering processes, dedicated to delivering high-quality SaaS to our customers, both quickly and effectively. Your expertise, knowledge, and passion for your domain will imbue the organization around you; you will be a champion for code health, testability, maintainability, and best practices for development and feature delivery.
This is a transformational role requiring exceptional technical, organizational, communication and collaboration skills. You will have the opportunity to lead and grow a world-class team that delivers robust and high-quality feature-sets. You will be a technical thought-leader, a champion for rigorous and adaptive technical design, proactive planning, results orientation and quality-first culture. By leading a team of Backend and Frontend Engineers, and Engineering Managers, you will be able to affect transformative change within the organization and help accelerate BlackLine growth.At BlackLine, leadership is a powerful responsibility. We favor servant-leaders who support and enable their teams, guide them to continuous improvement, plan proactively and successfully execute paths towards that success. In the right hands, with the right experience, this role can be a force that can change the very nature of how we work, and through that can drastically improve the working lives of each and every one of our clients.
- Manage a team of Frontend and Backend Engineers, and Engineering Managers while focusing on effective prioritization of work.
- Lead, motivate, challenge, and grow the engineering team.
- Interact with Executives and Product Management in order to understand corporate priorities and goals, as well as communicate technical subjects of interest or needs in effective manners.
- Partner with peers both inside and outside of the department, working towards holistic improvements and success for the company and our customers.
- Provide technical and operational leadership, with a demonstrated ability to lead at all levels in a bleeding-edge, high-performance, and high-volume environment
- Oversee the development of SaaS-based components, microservices, applications and tools
- Evaluate and own decisions to arrive at the best mix of build, buy and open source technologies.
- Evaluate and refine engineering processes in order to streamline development, reduce time to delivery, increase quality, and promote a culture of excellence within the organization
- Share your passion for engineering and deliver software that customers love to use!
- Drive adoption and champion best practices in code health, sound architecture and design, testing (TDD/BDD), CI/CD, and maintainability.
- Define and measure key metrics/KPIs highlighting engineering throughput, and the quality of shipped features.
- Partner and collaborate with Technical Operations to ensure software availability, security and performance.
- Transform and drive superior Customer Service via improved quality, monitoring, and incident management capabilities
- 10+ years of experience in software design and development, with a proven track record of delivering platform and applications, paired with increasing responsibility in technical and management roles.
- 7+ years of experience with delivering Enterprise SaaS built on modern web technologies.
- 4+ years of experience as Manager of Managers.
- Deep technical hands-on knowledge of SDLC, Design Patterns, Agile Methodologies, CI/CD Concepts, and Cloud-based initiatives
- Cloud Native experience in designing and delivering microservices based solutions for batch, event driven, and real-time architectures.
- Extensive prior hands-on technical experience with C# (preferred), Java, Python, Go, or equivalent languages
- Strong knowledge of databases—both RDBMS and unstructured/NoSQL—as well as working knowledge of database scaling concerns and tools
- Solid understanding of clustering, load balancing, and web caching technologies (e.g., CDN, memcache)
- Significant experience managing, growing, and successfully integrating high efficiency modern development methodologies into mainstream development processes and lifecycles
- Deep understanding of both technical and non-technical requirements for enterprise SaaS at scale in the areas of system performance, scalability, reliability, security and extensibility.
- Inspirational and highly collaborative leadership style, capable of building top-talent teams, cross-functional bridges, and high-impact architectures.
- Excellent verbal, written, and presentation skills, with a demonstrated ability to effectively communicate technical and business issues to support the strategic goals.
- Excellent leadership skills showing commitment, strategic foresight and planning, integrity, and moving the team and organization towards continual success.
- Experience in hiring, training, mentoring, and managing multiple teams.
- BS degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related discipline; MS preferred.
- Experience working with distributed “big data” technologies and providers, as well as Machine Learning/AI technologies
- Familiar with ERPs (SAP, Oracle, Netsuite or Microsoft).\
- FinTech or Financial services domain background.