Since being founded in 2001, BlackLine has become a leading provider of cloud software that automates and controls the entire financial close process. Our vision is to modernize the finance and accounting function to enable greater operational effectiveness and agility, and we are committed to delivering innovative solutions and services to empower accounting and finance leaders around the world to achieve Modern Finance.
We're a technology-based company with a sense of adventure and a vision for the future. Every door at BlackLine is open. Just bring your brains, your problem-solving skills, and be part of a winning team at the world's most trusted name in Finance Automation.
As Senior Manager of Database Engineering, you will lead, manage and inspire teams of talented Database Engineers working to enhance our high performance, cloud-based, SaaS web application. You will be at the core of what makes us successful: the people and teams who write our software and build new and key features for our clients. Being at the center of our application allows you to affect change, to own and drive improvements every day, and to imbue those around you with a passion and dedication to excellence.
We're looking for people who not only have a strong hands-on technical experience and interest, but who want to drive innovation in people management, motivation, and growth. You’ll be working with and mentoring talented individuals and working closely with other teams and departments to ideate, innovate and ultimately deliver the best client integrations and user experiences.
If you don't just see management as the next logical step, but are a passionate, driven technical leader, then you can be a great fit for our team. Responsiblities:
- Manage Database Engineering team to deliver valuable and high-quality functionality to our clients
- Define and drive an overall unifying vision for teams and their projects, processes, workflows, and related areas through motivation, consensus building and leading change
- Provide technical leadership and guidance to both your team members and your project peers
- Implement and drive adaptations to teams and strategic organizational processes, workflows, and related areas
- Leverage your technical and domain knowledge to partner with Product representatives and your teams in defining project deliverables, presenting innovative solutions and, ultimately, to successfully plan, manage and drive the timely delivery of corporate initiatives
- Work with Product and technical stakeholders, as well as Project Management, to define project requirements and deliverables, and, ultimately, plan and manage the timely delivery of high-quality projects
- Review and understand core strengths and weaknesses across team members, and proactively engage, mentor, and define goals in order to capitalize upon strengths or mitigate gaps
- Effectively plan, communicate and conduct presentations (project milestones, risk mitigation, road maps, resource needs, technical information, etc.) for senior management and stakeholders, while conveying and driving actionable items to your teams
- Work closely, partner, and collaborate with our Architects to provide exceptional solutions that adhere to, or create, standards across teams
- Effectively communicate and resolve personnel issues on your teams
- Contribute to design reviews, code reviews and hands-on work in your respective domain
- Manage day to day administrative tasks such as time off requests, sick days, etc.
- Delegating responsibilities and supervising business operations.
- Hiring, training, motivating and coaching employees as they provide attentive, efficient service to (internal/external) customers, assessing employee performance and providing helpful feedback and training opportunities.
- Generating reports and presenting information to upper-level managers or other parties.
- Ensuring staff members follow company policies and procedures.
- Ensuring the overall health and success of the business.
- On call for incidents and maintenances as needed
- Other duties as assigned.
- Recent prior experience as a Manager and/or Technical Lead (DB Engineer, QA, etc.) in software development of large-scale web applications, with at least 8 years of experience in your respective domain
- 5+ years of onsite employee supervisory experience
- Exceptional communication and people skills, with a passion for product excellence, talent development, and mentoring
- Knowledge of Build, Deployment, and Continuous Integration concepts and best practices, including full SDLC
- Strong experience in Agile methodology, processes, and best practices
- Experience in TDD concepts, methodologies, and best practices (i.e., mocks, spies, unit tests, code coverage, etc.) – BDD experience is a plus
- 5+ years of experience in relational and NoSQL database development and related stack(s)
- A solid computer science foundation including data structures, algorithms, and design patterns, with a proven track record of software design and architecture of complex systems
- Experience as a technical influencer for highly scalable distributed system designs
- Experience in modern database platforms, including data modeling, stored procedures, schema definitions, performance and scaling considerations
- Recent experience working with, troubleshooting and tuning across all layers of a modern SaaS, N-Tier, web-based application
- Understanding of QA standards and best practices, including automation, regression, and smoke testing, white/black-box testing, and related QA processes
- BS, EE or CS degree in Computer Science, or equivalent experience.
- Strong understanding of business management, financial, and leadership principles.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, leadership, coaching, and conflict resolution skills.
- Time and project management skills.
- Ability to analyze processes and information, identify problems and trends, and develop effective solutions and strategies.
- Passionate commitment to providing exceptional service to customers and support to staff members.
- Experience working with Google Cloud Platform preferred